This homemade sourdough hamburger patty has a deliciously moist and crispy texture. Made with extra-lean ground beef mixed with sourdough starter and flavored with onion and garlic powders taste delightful. You will see them disappear in no time!
This easy sourdough hamburger patty recipe is one of my favorite recipes. I used extra lean ground beef, which has less fat and more protein, which means fewer calories overall, and a healthier lean beef hamburger patty without sacrificing taste. Moist, juicy, and crispy, this quick sourdough hamburger patty recipe is a great-tasting quick dinner recipe.
Serve them with any side dishes you like the most. Fresh salads, roasted vegetables, and soups are great options. It goes well with any side dishes. Feel free to add your favorite spices or herbs to customize it. It is a healthy, nourishing homemade main dish that you will feel happy to serve to your family.
- Ground beef. I used extra lean ground beef, a 93/7 lean-to-fat ratio. You may substitute it with ground chicken, turkey breast, or salmon fillets.
- Sourdough starter. This makes hamburgers juicy and moist. You may substitute it with dry bread crumbs.
- Onion & garlic powder. Both enhance the dish's flavor. You may use fresh grated onion and garlic. Add your favorite vegetables, such as carrots, celery, pepper, spinach, and kale. Grind them well using a food processor and remove their liquid.
- Egg. Optional. It works as a binder, but since the sourdough starter is a wet ingredient, you may skip it.
- Seasonings. Salt and pepper to taste. I keep seasoning simple for my kids. Add any other herbs or spices you like.
- Oil. Use as needed to fry the hamburger patties. I used avocado oil which has a high smoke point.
1. Let the cast-iron skillet warm up on medium-low heat.
2. Place all the ingredients in a bowl.
3. Mix them all evenly. I mix them with my hand.
4. Divide the mixture into eight same-size balls.
5. Add enough oil to the hot skillet and warm it up.
6. Using the palm of your hand, flatten each ball and place them in the hot oil. Leave enough room between the patties. I cooked four patties at a time.
7. Let each side cook for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
8. When ready, flip and let the other side cook. Add oil as needed.
9. Continue to cook the rest of the sourdough hamburger patties.
10. Serve it hot, and enjoy!
Tips and tricks
- Use a cast-iron skillet for faster searing and crispy and juicy results.
- Let the skillet and oil warm up nicely.
- Flip the hamburgers when they are crispy and brown.
- Add your favorite spices, herbs, and vegetables.
- If you find the batter sticky. Damp your fingers into a bowl of water to make the hamburger patties.
- Use high smoke point oil such as avocado oil.
Substitutions and variations to this recipe
- Make it keto and gluten-free. Replace the sourdough starter with finely chopped herbs or vegetables: cilantro, chives, parsley, oregano, mint, dill, rosemary, broccoli, and cauliflower.
- Vegan. Substitute ground beef with grounded chickpeas, beans, legumes, or grounded nuts such as walnuts, cashews, or peanuts are the other alternatives to this recipe.
- Cooking variations. Add two tablespoons of oil to the mixture and bake the sourdough hamburger patties in the oven instead. or grill them.
- Or make the patties into small balls and make them into a soup or stew.
- Add vegetables (crunchy or starchy) and spices and herbs of your choice to customize this recipe.
- I used this 10-inch cast-iron skillet (affiliate link). Everything tastes extra delicious when cooked in cast-iron cookware.
Storage and reheat
Store these sourdough hamburger patties in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Whenever ready to serve them, let them heat up slowly on a stovetop or microwave them for a few seconds.
You can freeze them in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months. Let them thaw in the fridge the night before, then heat them on the stovetop or microwave them.
What to serve with it
You may serve these sourdough hamburger patties on their own with a light fresh salad or fermented vegetables.
- Vegetables. Serve them with Garlic sesame green beans or roasted honey cumin broccoli.
- Salad. A delicious fresh Best keto broccoli cauliflower salad is another option.
- Soup. Or serve it with nourishing Best gluten free potato soup.
This sourdough hamburger patty recipe is going to be your go-to quick delicious recipe. It is easy to make and full of flavor. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does! Let me know in common below! I love to hear from you!
Check out more extra lean ground beef recipes:
- Juicy extra lean ground beef burger patty
- Easy ground beef and broccoli casserole
- Keto eggplant casserole with ground beef
Check out more sourdough starter recipes:
- Best sourdough breakfast recipe
- Easy sourdough bread pizza
- Easy sourdough starter fried chicken
- Easy old fashioned salmon patties
- Easy sourdough discard naans
- Easy sourdough discard flatbread
- 1 pound of extra lean ground beef
- ½ cup of sourdough starter
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 egg, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil as needed
- Let the cast-iron skillet warm up on medium-low heat.
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix them all evenly. I mix them with my hand.
- Divide the mixture into eight same-size balls.
- Add enough oil to the hot skillet and warm it up.
- Using the palm of your hand, flatten each ball and place them in the hot oil. Leave enough room between the patties. I cooked four patties at a time.
- Let each side cook for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- When ready, flip and let the other side cook. Add oil as needed.
- Continue to cook the rest of the sourdough hamburger patties.
- Serve it hot, and enjoy!
- I used 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Add any spices and herbs you like.
- Add your favorite vegetables, such as carrot, celery, pepper, spinach, garlic, and kale. Grind them well using a food processor and remove their liquid.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 95mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 19g