This bean and potato soup recipe is incredibly easy and quick to make. It is rich and full of flavor! A vegan and gluten-free soup for you all!
This delicious bean and potato soup is so easy to make and guarantees satisfaction for you all! It has a creamy texture to it, full of flavor and body. You make this soup with beans, potatoes, and pasta sauce.
This healthy pinto bean and potato soup is the best filling meal for lunch or a side dish for dinner. My family never gets enough of this tasty soup and always asks for more!
How cook dry beans and store them
- First, In a larger pot, rinse one cup of beans with cold water.
- Then, add 5 cups of cold water and one tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice (something acidic) and let it soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the water and add fresh cold water to cover the beans.
- Season it with salt to taste and bring it to a boil on the stovetop. Adding salt before cooking beans will prevent the beans' skin from coming off while cooking.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 45 minutes or until the beans are soft inside and have a firm shape.
Cooked beans freeze well too. Put them inside an air-tight zip lock bag, let the air out, and flatten and freeze. Use it within three months.
I usually cook a couple of pounds of beans at once and freeze them.
- Beans. I used homemade cooked kidney, northern and pinto beans. Use other beans like black beans, navy beans, or white beans.
- Diced potatoes. I used russet potatoes. It is starchy and makes the soup thick and yummy. Use any other potato you like better.
- Pasta sauce. It is easy and quick to make soup with a pasta sauce that already has tomato, onion, garlic, and herbs in it.
- Water. Help to thin up the pasta sauce and cook the diced potatoes. You may use broth or stock.
- Butter. Adds lots of flavor and creamy texture to the soup.
- Seasonings. Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon to serve.
1. Put diced potatoes and cooked beans in a pot.
2. Then, add tomato sauce and water.
3. Add butter and season it with salt and paper.
4. Bring it to a boil and cover it. Let it simmer on medium-low heat for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and the soup has come together.
5. Serve this bean and potato soup hot with fresh lemon. or with sour cream, diced avocado, or crunchy toasted bread.
Tips and tricks
- Cut potatoes small so they incorporate well with beans and cook fast too.
- Adds spices and herbs of your choice.
- If you are using canned beans, drain the water and rinse it.
- Make this bean and potato soup creamy by adding a cup of sour cream or yogurt.
- Add more butter if desired.
- Since we do not add flour to thicken the soup, starchy potatoes work the best. You may use sweet potatoes too.
- The soup thickens ups as it cools down.
Substitutions and variations to this recipe
- Use any beans you have on hand; you may even use lentils.
- Make your sauce with fresh or canned tomatoes, saute onion and garlic, and season it with herbs and spices of your choice; Basil, cilantro, dill, parsley, cumin, curry, and ginger are great options.
- Make this bean and potato soup a white creamy soup by using sour cream, soft cheeses, or yogurt instead of tomato sauce.
- Use small pasta instead of potatoes.
- Add in some eggs or other proteins to make it more filling.
- Add in some other vegetables; spinach, kale, carrots, corn, green beans, or peas.
- Make this bean and potato soup in a crock pot, slow cooker, or instant pot.
- This bean and potato soup recipe is vegetarian.
- Substitute butter with avocado or olive oil and make it vegan bean and potato soup.
Storage and reheat
Store this soup in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days and heat it on the stovetop or microwave it. Freeze it in an individual serving freezer-safe bag and use it within 3 months. Defrost them a night before in the fridge.
What to serve with it
Serve this soup as a light meal for lunch with diced avocado, sour cream, roasted nuts or seeds, or toasted bread. or naans.
Serve it as a side dish with main dishes:
- Juicy extra lean ground beef burger patty
- Sourdough starter hamburger patty.
- Sweet and sour chicken gluten free
- Best chicken kebabs in oven
- Easy old fashioned salmon patties
You and your family will love this healthy, hearty bean and potato soup. It is quick to make, and the ingredients are readily available and easy to find. Customize it to your taste by adding your favorite spices and herbs.
Do not forget to share how you did! I love to hear from you!
Please rate, common, and share this recipe on Pinterest! Thank you!
Find more delicious nutritious beans and soup recipes:
- 4 cups of cooked beans
- 2 cups of diced potatoes
- 1 cup of pasta sauce ( tomato + onion+ garlic)
- 2 cups of water
- 3 tbsp. butter
- Salt pepper to taste
- Lemon to serve
- Put the diced potatoes and cooked beans in a pot.
- Then, add tomato sauce and water.
- Add butter and season it with salt and pepper.
- Bring it to a boil and cover it. Let it simmer on medium-low heat for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and the soup has come together.
- Serve it hot with fresh lemon, sour cream, diced avocado, or crunchy toasted bread.
- Make this soup creamy by adding sour cream or yogurt
- Add more butter if desired
- Add in your favorite spices and herbs.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 289Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 925mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 9gSugar: 17gProtein: 10g