This ultimate easy and healthy baked eggs and beans for breakfast is made with the goodness of eggs and creamy buttery northern beans. This healthy baked beans recipe's simple ingredients are available in any household. So, get up and make this really, really awesome eggs and beans breakfast recipe, and serve it in under 10 minutes.
Bored of the same old breakfast recipe?! So here is a great healthy baked beans recipe idea to inspire you!
Making a healthy homemade breakfast from scratch every morning is one thing, and keeping it versatile and interesting for everyone to be excited for breakfast every morning is another thing.
See the sections below for the recipe substitutes and more!
A great breakfast has enough protein to start you right for the day. So, eggs are great. But let's make them a little different today by nesting eggs inside great creamy-tasting beans. Flavored with dill and sauté onions and garlic aroma creates an irresistible unforgettable taste.
This healthy baked beans recipe with eggs and beans can be served hot or at room temperature, so it is a great breakfast/brunch idea for spring and summer.
Find more simple healthy breakfast recipes:
- Beans. I used northern beans.
- Dill. Fresh dill has more flavor and a nice green color.
- Butter. Adds flavor and a nice texture.
- Onion and garlic. Flavor enhancers.
- Salt & pepper as needed.
- Some drizzle of olive oil or avocado oil.
- Served with avocado
Instructions for healthy baked eggs and beans for breakfast (Step by step)
In a hot skillet, sauté onion with butter until soft and slightly brown.
Then, drain the bean's liquid, and add it to the onion. Let the beans warm up.
Next, add chopped dill and mix them all.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. If canned beans have salt, add less salt.
Turn on the oven, broil, and let the oven warm up.
Breaks the eggs next and season them with salt and pepper.
Drizzle some avocado or olive oil over the eggs.
Place the skillet in the hot oven and let the eggs cook for 5 minutes for a runny result.
Serve it hot with some sliced avocado or bread.
- Use fresh herbs as possible. This is an easy way to boost the dish's flavor without adding more calories.
- Add a dash of your favorite spices: cumin, ginger, cayenne pepper, turmeric …
- Cook the dry beans from scratch or buy organic canned beans when possible.
- If canned beans have salt, use less salt.
- Drain the excess water in canned beans. But no need to rinse it.
- Ensure not to overcook the dish since it can dry out fast.
- Since we are broiling the dish, use a high smoke point oil such as avocado oil.
- Broiling the eggs in the oven results in a nicer crust and becomes crispier.
- Replace eggs with proteins such as cooked chicken, ground beef, or sausage. Or leave eggs out and make a vegan dish.
- Substitute northern beans with black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, navy beans, white beans, or other beans. Lentils and chickpeas are great too. You can even use fresh or frozen green beans or peas.
- Use ghee, olive oil, or avocado oil instead of butter.
- Substitute onion and garlic with leeks, chives, garlic, or shallot.
- Replace dill with cilantro, chives, oregano, mint, parsley, basil, thyme, or rosemary. Fresh herbs are the best if you have them on hand!
- Add a dash of your favorite spices.
I used this 10-inch cast-iron skillet (affiliate link). Everything tastes extra delicious when cooked in cast-iron cookware.
Storage and reheat
Store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Whenever ready to serve it, let it heat up slowly on a stovetop or microwave them for a few seconds.
How to serve it
Serve it with yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, fruit salad, and chopped nuts for crunch or bread. I served it with some diced avocado.
Why soak beans
Beans have lots of phytic acid- antinutrient substances. Soaking beans in cold water lowers the phytic acid in them. Also, adding a tablespoon of lemon juice or other acidic food, such as plain yogurt and kefir, helps to naturalize phytic acid further.
How to cook dry beans
- First, In a larger pot, rinse one cup of beans with cold water.
- Then, add 5 cups of cold water and one tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice (something acidic) and let it soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the water and add fresh cold water to cover the beans.
- Season it with salt to taste and bring it to a boil on the stovetop. Adding salt before cooking beans will prevent the beans' skin from coming off while cooking.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 45 minutes or until the beans are soft inside and have a firm shape.
- Cooked beans freeze well too. Put them inside an air-tight zip lock bag, let the air out, and flatten and use it within three months.
The exact instructions can be used to cook dry chickpeas. But lentils need only 30 minutes of soaking before cooking, and they cook much faster.
What did you substitute? How did your family and kids like it? Let me know in the comment below your favorite combination. I love to hear from you!
Find more simple, delicious nutritious breakfast recipes:
Baked beans recipe healthy, baked beans breakfast idea, baked beans egg recipe, beans for breakfast, baked beans breakfast recipes, baked beans for breakfast, easy baked beans, homemade baked beans.
Pin it for later
If you loved this recipe, I would appreciate it if you would come back, comment, and rate it five stars! Please share this healthy baked beans recipe on Pinterest. Thank you!
Baked eggs and beans for breakfast
- 4 eggs
- One can Of northern beans
- ½ cup of chopped dill
- 3 tbs of butter
- ½ cup of diced onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Salt & pepper as needed
- Some drizzle of olive oil or avocado oil
- Served with avocado
- In a hot skillet, sauté onion with butter until soft and slightly brown.
- Then, drain the bean's liquid, and add it to the onion. Let the beans warm up.
- Next, add chopped dill and mix them all.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. If canned beans have salt, add less salt.
- Turn on the oven, broil, and let the oven warm up.
- Breaks the eggs next and season them with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle some avocado or olive over the eggs.
- Place the skillet in the hot oven and let the eggs cook for 5 minutes for a runny result.
- Serve it hot with some sliced avocado or bread.
Your Private Notes
- The total cook time is 10 minutes. Five minutes on the stovetop and 5 minutes to grill in the oven. Broiling the eggs in the oven results in a nicer crust and is crispier.
- However, you can complete cooking the dish on the stovetop. Lower the heat and cover the pan and let it steam cook for 5 minutes.
- I use a 10-inch cast-iron skillet for cooking the dish.
Note: The provided nutrition information is an estimate for the entire recipe, the calorie accuracy nutritional facts, unit and portion conversion are calculated by a third party app. and are not guaranteed.